Wednesday, May 6, 2009

You can stop the rain dancing now...

All of those rain dances I did out back, must have worked. Everything here at the Farm is so green and growing right now, you can almost see it happening before your eyes.

We will be picking strawberries for market this weekend. They are wonderful, as usual, this year. Might be a little gritty, though, because we don't have the mulch finished yet. Oh well, maybe that will be a deterrent to people eating them unwashed. That drives me crazy, by the way. Strawberries grow in dirt and sit on the ground, there is gonna be some dirt on the berries. Organic dirt isn't sterile...

I see that happening all the time at farmer's markets. People will buy some fruit and immediately start eating it while strolling the market. While I am a firm believer in the fact that being exposed to things makes your body become resistant to them, eating fruit that has pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and who knows what all else on them, just doesn't seem prudent to me. And I didn't mention all the handling they may have had to get to the table at those markets....

My hens are laying like crazy right now, but everytime it cools off, they do too, meaning that they slow down their laying a bit. It is okay, though, all those eggs go to much good usage.