Friday, November 9, 2007

The Art of Happiness

HAPPINESS
You will need to use the back key to return from these websites.
" Children smile 400 times a day on average ... adults 15 times.
Children laugh 150 times a day ... adults 6 times per day.
Children play between 4-6 hours a day ... adults only 20 minutes a day.
What's happened?
~ Robert Holden (from 'Living Wonderfully') ~

I am happy. I admit it. I laugh often and play alot. Everyday I look at my life and I am so profoundly grateful for all the gifts I have been given that I almost burst at the seams. I love what I do for a living. I have two of the best kids in the world. I have a beautiful granddaughter who is nothing but pure joy. I share my life with the most amazing man who makes me feel special and loved every day. I love my parents who gave me so much of what I am and who are pretty great themselves. I love my brother because he is my brother. I love my in-laws for many reasons, not the least of which is the contribution they made to shaping the life of my love. I love the furred, feathered and scaled companions I get to spend my days with. I have a pretty incredible life and I'm loving every minute of it!
How about you?




14000 Things to Be Happy About I have a wonderful book called "14,000 Things to Be Happy About". It was written by Dr. Barbara Ann Kipfer and it is a gem.
In the book, Barbara lists page after page of things she has to be happy about.
She also has a website that lists daily random "happinesses" and this is the link to the site. I find such affirmation in the contents of this little book that I was inspired to make my own list. So far, I am up to several hundred things and I add something new almost every day. With all of the negative aspects of a hectic and busy life, this can be a great exercise in the advancement of self-nurturing. Try to spend just 5 minutes each day writing down those things that do make you happy. And share it with others.


The Secret Society of Happy People Here is a site that will put a smile on your face. The founder of this site is Pamela Gail Johnson, author of the book "Don’t Even Think of Raining on My Parade: Adventures of the Secret Society of Happy People"

Read an excerpt from the Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living or visit the official website of the book The Art of Happiness.
This book is a groundbreaking collaboration between His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama, and Howard C. Cutler, M.D., a Phoenix-based psychiatrist. See what one of the most revered men (the Dalai Lama)on the planet has to say about happiness.

Martha Beck Oprah has called Martha Beck one of the the "smartest women I know". Read what this Life Coach has to say about what happiness really is and how to achieve it. She has some inspiring things to say. You can read more from Dr. Beck at her "O" magazine online column.

How to Be HappyThis is a "how-to" manual for being happier. I think the format is interesting and some of the "instructions" are too obvious, but overall worth a look.


howtobehappy.org Michael Anthony is the author of this website and offers a free e-copy download of his book entitled "How to be Happy and Have Fun Changing the World". May not be everyone's cup of tea, but certainly worth taking a look at what Mr. Anthony has to say.